NOTE – Video has been updated to reflect updates to Gmail and Google Drive. Please disregard the instructions below. To view a detailed instruction, please visit Adding Google Docs as Gmail Attachments.
This video specifies how to email a Google Doc as an email attachment.
- From inside a Google Doc, Spreadsheet, or Presentation, choose “File,” then “Email as attachment…”
- You will then have a choice of formats. Choosing HTML will make the document appear in the recipient’s mailbox just as it does in Google Docs. The other options are for converting the Doc to various formats, including a PDF, Rich Text, or Microsoft Office file (Word, Excel, or Powerpoint).
- In the “To” box, type one or more email address to which you want to send the attachment.
- Type a subject and add a message if desired, and click “Send.”
Alternatively, while working with others on a Doc, you can share a link with your collaborators so they can navigate directly to the file in Google Docs.
- Make sure the document is shared with the desired recipients.
- Click “File” and “Email collaborators…”
- From this window you can select which people with access to the Doc you wish to email by checking the boxes next to their names.
- Add a message if desired, and click “Send.” Recipients will get an email with your message and a private link to the Doc in their inboxes.